Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies - Option in Communication, Culture, and Public Affairs (120 units)
This option requires 48 units of which 36 are upper division. All Communication Studies majors, regardless of option chosen, are required to complete the following core.
1. Lower Division Core (12 units):
Take all the following:
- COMM 110 Interpersonal Communication (3)
- COMM 130 Essentials of Public Speaking (3)
- COMM 131 Essentials of Argumentation (3)
- *COMM 200 Gateway to Communication Studies (3)
*Students must take COMM 200 in their first year of declaring the major.
2. Upper Division Core (15 units):
Take all the following courses:
- COMM 300 Survey of Rhetorical Theory (3)
Prerequisite: GE Foundation requirements.
- COMM 301 Communication Criticism (3)
Prerequisite: COMM 300.
- COMM 306 Communication Theory (3)
- COMM 307 Measurement in Comm Research (3)
Prerequisites: COMM 306 and completion of University GE requirement in mathematics.
- COMM 330 Intercultural Communication (3)
3. Electives (21 units, 9 units must be 400-level) selected from the following:
- COMM 309, COMM 331, COMM 333, COMM 335, COMM 336, COMM 338, COMM 352, COMM 412, COMM 415, COMM 422, COMM 430, COMM 433, COMM 434, COMM 436, COMM 437, COMM 439, COMM 441, COMM 442, COMM 449, COMM 490 (consult with a communication studies advisor about which 490 courses are appropriate for this degree option).
Only courses in which a "C" or better have been earned may be applied to satisfy upper division requirements in the major. Classes taken in which less than adequate grades are received must be repeated until an adequate grade is achieved. Majors will not be permitted to take any upper division class in the major on a credit/non-credit basis.