Minor in Food Science
Preparation for employment in the Food Science Industry may be developed through completion of this program of study. Eighteen units including:
Take all the following:
- FSCI 332 Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: CHEM 327; HFHM 235; MICR 200 or equivalent.
- FSCI 338 Introduction to Food Processing (3)
Prerequisites: FSCI 332.
- FSCI 432 Food Analysis (3)
Prerequisites: CHEM 327, FSCI 332 or equivalent.
- FSCI 435 Food Processing, Preservation and Packaging (3)
Prerequisites: FSCI 332 or consent of instructor.
- FSCI 492F Internship in Food Science (3)
Prerequisites: Senior standing; a 2.5 overall GPA or a 3.0 major GPA; approval of faculty advisor in Food Science; and FSCI 332.
Take 3 units from the following:
- FCSE 497 Directed Studies
Prerequisites: Upper division standing, consent of instructor.
- MICR 325 Emerging Infectious Diseases
Prerequisites: MICR 211 with a grade of "C" or better and consent of instructor.
- NUTR 336 Cultural Aspects of Food and Nutrition
Prerequisites: PSY 100 or SOC 100 or ANTH 120 or equivalent; NUTR 132.
Adhere to prerequisites below, some fulfill GE requirements:
- 1. CHEM 111A is a prerequisite for CHEM 327;
- 2. HFHM 235, CHEM 327, and MICR 200 are prerequisites for FSCI 332;
- 3. FSCI 332 is a prerequisite for FSCI 338, 432, 435, and 492F;
- 4. PSY 100 or SOC 100 or ANTH 120 or equivalent and NUTR 132 are prerequisites for NUTR 336;
- 5. MICR 200 will meet the prerequisite for MICR 325 for Food Science minors.
The Minor in Food Science is available to any non-Food Science major.