Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
CSULB Curriculum Handbook Banner
Print this page Add this page to your favorites Select a font size Select a small font Select a medium font Select a large font

Section Two - Program Development and Approval

Print Version of this Section

Title Change of Existing Degree Program or Credential

The Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of Graduate Studies will determine whether a title change to an existing program can be considered minor. If so, an approval memo will be distributed.

In most instances, changing the title of a degree program or credential will require campus and system-wide approval. What may seem to be a simple change in title may be viewed as a new degree. For example, a change from a B.A. to a B.S. or an M.A. to an M.S., or vice versa, is actually a new degree. Consult with Academic Programs and Articulation (AS-124, x.5-8221) to determine if the proposed program title change requires campus or system-level approval.

In general, any change to the main degree title (e.g., B.A. in English) will require campus and system-wide approval following the guidelines in the degree title change link below.

A change to an existing Option title will be processed and approved on campus. The exact process for a change to an option title will be determined based on whether the change is considered minor.

For further information on a title change, go to:

For further information on a degree designation change, go to:

When campus approval is required, in addition to the proposal information, please submit the University Resources Council (URC) form "Proposal for Program, Degree or Certificate Name Change."


Section 2: Program Development and Approval
<- Table of Contents

Section 2 - A


Next Section ->