College of Health and Human Services
Family and Consumer Sciences Faculty (FCS) Addition, Room 014
Telephone / FAX
(562) 985-1582 / 985-4414
Administrative Support Coordinators
Isabel Alvarado, Kim Romar
Instructional Support Technician
Faculty Interest Group
Jeanne Bader, Daniel Barber, Michael Blazey, Lee Blecher, Kay Cerny, Eileen Croke, Tom Crowe, Shelley Ericksen, Connie Evashwick, Janet Fisher, Mohammed Forouzesh, Gail Frank, Robert Friis, Carmen Galang, Agathi Glezakos, Catherine Goodman, Kenneth Gregory, Sarath Gunatilake, Sharon Guthrie, Judy Hails, Robert Harman, Joellen Hartley, Alan Henderson, Melanie Horn-Mallers, Harold Hunter, Carol Itatani, Hazel Jackson, Mary Jacob, K. J. James, Maridith Janssen, Barry Lavay, Marge Lichty, Tracey Mayfield, Valerie McKay, Olfat Mohamed, Walter Moore, Clyde Pentz, Marilyn Potts, Bonnie Rader, Molly Ranney, Wendy Reiboldt, Susan Rice, Pamela Roberts, Jan Schroeder, David Schult,Donna Schwab, Lydia Sondhi, Ronald Vogel, Barbara White, Mary Wolfinbarger
Gerontology is the scientific study of the processes and phenomena of aging, including biological, psychological and sociological dimensions. Mission: The California State University, Long Beach, Gerontology Program is dedicated to 1) improving the lives of middle age and older individuals in California and around the world by preparing students to work with diverse older adults, families, service providers, businesses, educators, and legislators; 2) providing timely, high quality training, consultation and other services; and 3) conducting research designed to inform planning and implementation of activities that promote optimal well-being of older adults and their families.
The Gerontology Program’s objectives are:
• To provide a flexible interdisciplinary curriculum that provides new and seasoned professionals with the competencies necessary for success in the field of aging.
• To provide experiential as well as didactic graduate education and professional training in gerontology for individuals planning to become professionals in public and private agencies.
• To provide professional field experiences in gerontology in order to enhance understanding of concepts, themes, and skills related to aging at various life stages, within different gender and racial/ethnic groups and among people with various abilities.
• To provide knowledge and skills necessary to plan develop and implement innovative programs to meet the needs of the State’s vast and growing aging population.
• To explore aging-related professional values and ethics.
The Gerontology Program is enhanced by the Gerontology Faculty Interest Group, the Center for Successful Aging and a chapter of Sigma Phi Omega, the National Honor Society in Gerontology.
The Gerontology Faculty Interest Group is comprised of about 50 CSULB faculty members representing more than 20 disciplines. Members teach courses essential to the Gerontology Program, conduct gerontological research, and provide training and service. Lecturers and emeritus faculty members also are active in the Gerontology Program.
The Center for Successful Aging is part of a complex of Centers and organizations on the campus of California State University, Long Beach that are involved with aging-related issues. The Center for Successful Aging is a transdisciplinary academic/community partnership to promote collaborative innovations in education, practice, policy development and research related to aging, in a culturally diverse society.
Students in the gerontology program are eligible for membership in Sigma Phi Omega, the national academic honor and professional society in gerontology that recognizes the excellence of those who study gerontology/aging and the outstanding service of professionals who work with or on behalf of older persons.
CSULB is one of only a few California campuses to offer graduate programs to meet the State’s need for educated, experienced and diverse professional gerontologists. To accomplish this goal, two programs of study are offered: A Master of Science in Gerontology and a Gerontology Certificate.