Getting Started with i>clicker
What you need
- Latest version of i>clicker (downloaded from i>clicker download)
- i>clicker base (contact ITSS for instructor base station kit - free of charge)
- A computer (i>clicker software is available on Flash drive found in instructor kit)
- A clicker to use as an instructor clicker (available in the instructor kit)
Preparation before class
To get your i>clicker ready for class:
- Connect the i>clicker receiver to your computer through the USB port. The receiver's LCD screen will light up. The base draws power from the USB cable, so it only has to plug into your computer.
- Insert the i>clicker flash drive in the USB slot on the back of the receiver.
- Go to My Computer. Locate and double-click the flash drive to open (often E or F drive, sometimes called a Removable Disk).
- Depending on whether you use a PC or Mac; Copy and Paste the MyCoursePC or MyCourseMac folder onto your computer.
- My Documents or the Desktop are good places to put your course
- Open your course folder and double-click the i>clicker icon.
- Click on the Add Course button.
- Enter the name of your course (Course Number and Section Number are optional) and click on Create (you can add other courses by doing the same process again).
The i>clicker Main Menu Screen
as seen on PC as seen on Mac
Main Menu screen interface
Software version number
Active course/section name; initially the name of the course. You can change the text in the Settings and Preferences.
Start Session link
Settings and Preferences link
Loan Clickers link
Resume Last Session link
9. Click on Your Settings and Preferences
10. On Instructor's Remote ID, enter the code found the back of your i>clicker remote under the barcode.
11. Click on set for term button.
Now your course is established and your remote is assigned as an instructor remote. Your instructor remote now has different functionality than a student remote. Your i>clicker base should have come with 2 stickers, displaying functions such as play, forward, back, etc. Simply apply one of these stickers to your instructor remote.
A = Start/Stop Polling
B = Hide/Display graph
C = Advance slide (most effective when using PowerPoint or a similar presentation application)
D = Back up slide (most effective when using PowerPoint or a similar application)
E = Denote correct answer. Using “E,” you can toggle between your five choices on the graph. The choice upon which you remain will be highlighted as green and the other choices will become red. Note that you must display the graph in order to enable the “E” functionality.
The i>clicker Floating Toolbar
- Start/Stop polling toggle button
- Display/Hide toggle button for student response chart
- Options menu button; only enabled when polling is inactive
- Add (+) and Remove (-) time buttons; only visible when countdown timer is selected. The timer is adjusted by 20-second intervals.
- Count-down/count-up timer
- Number of responses received
- Close/exit button
- Minimize toolbar button
The Toolbar Options Menu
The Options menu button gives you quick access to several useful functions.
Refer to the i>clicker User Guide for details about these functions.