Editing the Calculated or Adjusted Final Grade
You can edit the name of the calculated or adjusted final grade; change whether users’ grades can exceed the max. points or weight for the final grade; apply a grade scheme to the final grade; associate an activity with the final grade; or change what grade options display in the grade book for the final grade.
For the final grade you release to users, you can specify whether users can see the class average or grade distribution for the final grade, and set release conditions for when the final grade is visible.
Table of contents
Edit the calculated or adjusted final grade
- From the Manage Grades area, click on the name of the calculated or adjusted final grade.
Update the fields.
- Click Save on each tab you make changes to.
Set display options for users
- Click the Properties tab.
- If you want to show the class average for the final grade in users’ view of the grade book, select Display class average to users.
- If you want to display a graph showing how grades were distributed between different percentiles in users’ view of the grade book, select Display grade distribution to users.
Note: These options are only available for the final grade you release to users. This might be either the calculated or adjusted final grade depending on the setup options you selected for your course.
Set display options for your view of the grade book
- Select Override display options for this item. Select or clear the check boxes beside the following options:
- Points grade Displays users’ grades in points next to the total points available. E.g., 233/280.
- Weighted grade Displays users’ grades as the weight achieved towards the final grade. E.g., 80/100.
- Grade scheme symbol Displays the symbol for the grade scheme level achieved by the user, if applicable. E.g., “A” or “Very Good”.
- Grade scheme color Displays the color associated with the grade scheme level achieved by the user, if applicable.
- Click Save.
Set release conditions for the final grade
Release conditions allow you to associate the final grade with other objects in your course. For example, you could require that users submit a class evaluation before they see their final grade.
- Click the Restrictions tab.
- In the Release Conditions section, click the Show Release Conditions link.
- Click either Attach Existing or Create and Attach.
- Choose whether access to the final grade is dependent on meeting all or any of your conditions.
Note: This option is only available for the final grade you release to users. This might be either the calculated or adjusted final grade depending on the setup options you selected for your course.
Editing grade items after users’ grades have been entered
Editing the Max. Points, Weight, Bonus, or Can Exceed fields for a grade item that already has grades entered for it can drastically change users’ recorded achievement. Make sure you consider how grades are affected before you make changes and review and adjust users’ grades after wards.
- You raise the Max. Points for a grade item from 10 to 20. A user who previously had 10/10 now has a grade of 10/20.
- You lower the Max. Points for a grade item from 12 to 10 when Can Exceed is not selected. A user who previously had 11/12 now has 10/10.