Welcome to Percussion Studies at California State University, Long Beach.
The Percussion Studies Program at CSULB is one of the most comprehensive percussion programs in the United States, featuring seven faculty members and three ensembles. The faculty consists of some of the top performer /educators in the Los Angeles area. Each teacher instructs in the area of their expertise, thereby giving students an in-depth practical approach in the areas of classical, jazz, and world percussion. Students are expected to gain competency on a variety of instruments and musical styles, while also being able to specialize in the area of the student’s choice. The ensembles cover many styles including classical, jazz, contemporary, and world music such as African, Brazilian, and Caribbean.
Characteristics of the percussion program:
- One of the most comprehensive percussion programs in the United States
- Expert performer/teachers covering a multitude of instruments and styles
- 3 major percussion groups covering classical, jazz, and world music
- Performing opportunities on the highest quality authentic instruments in all ensembles
- 13 percussion practice rooms stocked with a wide assortment of instruments
- Practice rooms available to all percussion majors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Opportunities to participate in wind ensembles, orchestra, jazz, and new music ensembles