Welcome to the Kinesiology and Physical Education Department
The Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education's mission is accomplished by providing excellence in instruction, scholarship and service through a multidisciplinary approach that will foster the development and maintenance of behavior that is essential for a healthy lifestyle in ever changing demographics.
The Department's programs offer a course of study for students wishing to prepare for professional careers or related disciplines in physical education teaching (Adapted, Elementary, and Secondary), athletic training, fitness-wellness, exercise science, kinesiotherapy, sport psychology and coaching. The programs have been developed from physiological, psychological, biomechancal, and sociological principles. The Department also serves the needs of students completing majors in other fields who find that certain aspects of Kinesiology and Physical Education are important to their professional objectives and personal interests.
In meeting the educational needs of these students, the Degrees, Certificates, and Minor available in the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Kinesiology in four options.
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology in four options.
- Master of Arts in Kinesiology in seven options.
- Master of Science in Kinesiology in three options.
- California Single Subject Clear Credential Programs in Physical Education (K-12)
- Adapted Physical Education Specialist Credential (K-12)
- Minor in Physical Education: Single Subject Credential Add-on
- Community Physical Fitness Certificate
- Wilderness Studies Certificate
- Kinesiotherapy Certificate
These are further explained in the "Students" section.
The Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, in addition to its Degrees, Certificates, and Minor, assumes the responsibility for the psychological, physiological, and sociological needs and interest of the college student through general education, interdisciplinary, and physical activity course offerings. Students enrolling in physical education activity courses assume responsibility for satisfactory health status appropriate to the class activity.
Please have a safe, productive, and enjoyable school year!