Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors in Biology, Marine Biology, or Microbiology
Students majoring in the B. S. in Biology (all options), B. S. in Marine Biology, or B. S. in Microbiology who would like an enriched academic program, including an intensive research experience, may be eligible to graduate with Honors in the Major through the University Honors Program. Students may also complete General Honors through the University Honors Program, in which case the General Honors thesis requirement is met through Honors in the Major (see University Honors in the Catalog).
Students interested in graduating with Honors in the Major should participate in a series of courses designed to introduce central concepts in biology (BIOL 110H), develop critical thinking and communication skills (special section of UHP 100), and introduce the newly emerging field of bioinformatics (BIOL 220H). In addition, they may join a learning community of students with similar interests and benefit from mentoring by faculty members.
This Honors in the Major program was created with the support of a grant from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Students admitted to Honors in the Major may be eligible to receive monetary support from a variety of sources for completion of their honors research and thesis.
Students who have successfully completed the lower division Honors in the Major curriculum will receive priority for research fellowship support to the extent that it is available.
Additional details about this program, including availability of fellowship support, are available from the Honors in the Major Program Advisor.
Requirements for Admission to the Honors in the Major:
1. Junior or senior standing with at least one year remaining before graduation.
2. Declared major of B. S. in Biology, B. S. in Marine Biology, or B. S. in Microbiology.
3. Completion of BIOL 211A,B, CHEM 251, 320A,B at time of entry with grades of at least C in each course. Students may apply during the semester in which they expect to complete these courses.
4. GPAs of at least 3.000 in all courses in the major and in all upper division courses in the major at the time of application.
5. Submission of an application describing the student's academic background, reasons for applying (including a description of any previous research experience), and willingness to commit to a year-long research experience.
6. Letter of recommendation from a CSULB faculty member familiar with the student's work and abilities.
Requirements for Graduation with Honors in the Major:
1. GPA of at least 3.300 in all upper division courses in the major and in Honors courses.
2. Completion of all requirements for the chosen degree in the Biological Sciences.
3. Completion of either BIOL 220H or 477.
4. Completion of BIOL 466H, Research Design and Methods - Honors (3 units).
5. Completion of 3 units of BIOL 496, Undergraduate Directed Research.
6. Completion of 3 units of BIOL 498H, Thesis- Honors.
7. Presentation of research results in a public forum. This requirement may be met by presentation at a scientific conference or at a local venue; consult the Program Director for additional information
Substitutions to this program must be approved by the Honors in the Major Program Advisor.