Office phone: 562-985-5649
Lab Web Site: http://csulb.edu/~htsai/index.html
- BIOL 342 Mammalian Physiology
- BIOL 342L Laboratory in Physiology
Research: My research interest is to understand the neuroendocrine mechanisms that regulate reproductive function and behaviors at molecular, cellular, and systemic levels. I use epigenetic approach to identify the sexually dimorphic genes that control sexual differentiation in the mouse brain structure and behavior.
- Tsai HW, Chen JC, Yeh KY, Tai MY, and Tsai YF (2009): Male Sexual Behavior and Brain Catecholamine Levels in Middle-Aged Rats. Chinese Journal of Physiology (in press).
- Tsai HW, Grant PA, Rissman EF (2009): Sex differences in histone modifications in the neonatal mouse brain. Epigenetics, 4: 47-53.
- Chen JC*, Tsai HW*, Yeh KY, Tai MY, Tsai Y-F (2008): Correlation of catecholamine levels in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis and reduced sexual behavior in middle-aged male rats. Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences, 63:678-82.
- Bojkowska K*, Hamczyk MM*, Tsai HW, Riggan A, Rissman EF (2008): Neuropeptide Y influences acute food intake and energy status affects NPY immunoreactivity in the female musk shrew (Suncus murinus). Hormones and Behavior, 53: 342-350.
- Chen JC*, Tsai HW*, Yeh KY, Tai MY, Tsai YF (2007): Male sexual behavior and catecholamine levels in the medial preoptic area and arcuate nucleus in middle-aged rats. Brain Research, 1184: 186-192.
- Tsai HW, Shui HA, Liu HS, Tai MY, and Tsai YF (2006): Monoamine levels in the nucleus accumbens correlate with male sexual behavior in middle-aged rats. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior, 83: 265-270.
- Tsai HW, Katzenellenbogen JA, Katzenellenbogen BS, and Shupnik MA (2004): Protein kinase A activation of estrogen receptor alpha transcription does not require proteasome activity and protects the receptor from ligand-mediated degradation. Endocrinology, 145: 2730-2738.
- Tsai HW, LaPolt PS, Olcott AP, and Lu JKH (2004): Temporal changes occur in the neuroendocrine control of gonadotropin secretion in aging female rats: Role of progesterone. Biology of Reproduction, 71: 845-852.
- Legan SJ and Tsai HW (2003): Oestrogen receptor-alpha and -beta immunoreactivity in gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurones after ovariectomy and chronic exposure to oestradiol. Journal of Neuroendocrinology, 15: 1164-1170.
- Tsai HW and Legan SJ (2002): Loss of luteinizing hormone surges induced by chronic estradiol is associated with decreased activation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons. Biology of Reproduction, 66: 1104-1110.
- Tsai HW and Legan SJ (2001): Chronic elevation of estradiol in young ovariectomized rats causes aging-like loss of steroid-induced LH surges. Biology of Reproduction, 64: 684-688.
- Tsai YF, Tsai HW, Tai MY, Huang RL, and Peng MT (1997): Male sexual behavior is associated with LHRH neuron number in middle-aged rats. Neuroscience Letters, 237: 81-84.
- Peng YI, Chen TJ, Lin SH, Tsai HW, Tai MY, Huang RL, and Tsai YF (1995): Dissociation of the restoration of copulatory behavior and the testicular morphology in old male rats with fetal brain grafting. Chinese Journal of Physiology, 38: 13-17.
- Tsai YF, Tsai HW, and Tai MY (1994): Variation in the sexual behavior performance in old male rats. Zoological Studies, 33: 232-234.
- Tsai YF, Tsai HW, and Tai MY (1994): Comparison of brain dopamine depletion induced by low-dose 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) in young and aged rats. Neuroscience Research, 20: 27-33.
- Tsai HW and Tsai YF (1993): MPTP-induced brain indoleamine changes are age-related and region-dependent in rats. Neuroscience Research Communication, 13: 19-26.
- Tsai HW and Tsai YF (1992): Age-related effects of MPTP on norepinephrine concentrations of various areas of rat brains. Chinese Journal of Physiology, 35: 349-356.
- Tsai YF, Tsai HW, Tai MY, and Lu KS (1991): Aged-related changes in locomotor behavior induced by MPTP in rats. Neuroscience Letters, 129: 153-155.