Dr. Young Shon (Chemistry & Biochemistry)
Ph.D., Department of Chemistry, University of Houston, Texas (1999)
Post-doctoral training, Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
The common thread of my research is the use of synthesis (organic, inorganic, or solid-state) to prepare new nanomaterials for technological applications. Current research focuses on the synthesis, characterization, and application of nanomaterials including nanoparticle-cored dendrimers (NCDs) and metal nanoisland films.
Nanoparticle-cored dendrimers can be used as a template for other interesting molecules such as fluorophores, catalysts, drug molecules, or antibodies, which could enable the preparation of multi-purposed NCDs suitable for biological applications including optical biomarker and drug delivery.
Gold nanoisland films are suitable for the detection of biomolecular interactions, because such discontinuous metal films show a localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) in the visible to near-infrared range and are sensitive to the dielectric properties of the contacting medium.
(*Undergraduate Student Co-authors)
(1) Shon, Y.-S. Choi, H. Y.*; Guerrero, M. S.; Kwon, C. Preparation of Nanostructured Film Arrays for Transmission Localized Surface Plasmon Sensing, 2009, Plasmonics, in press.
(2) Shon, Y.-S. Nanoparticle-Cored Dendrimers and Hyperbranched Polymers: Synthesis, Property, and Applications, Geckeler, Nishide (Eds): Advanced Nanomaterials, 2009, in press.
(3) Shon, Y.-S. Choi, H. Y.*; Guerrero, M. S.; Kwon, C. Preparation of Gold Nanoisland Arrays from Polymer-Nanoparticle Multilayer Films. Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, 2008, 99, 208-209.
(4) Shon, Y.-S.; Choi, D.; Dare, J.*; Dinh, T.* Synthesis of Nanoparticle-Cored Dendrimers by Convergent Dendritic Functionalization of Monolayer-Protected Nanoparticles, Langmuir 2008, 24, 6924-6931.
(5) Choo, H.; Isaacs, S. R.; Small, A.*; Parmley, S.*; Shon, Y.-S. Chemical and Heating Treatments of Ionic Monolayer-Protected Clusters (IMPCs) with Different Surface Counter Anions. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 2007, 316, 66-71.
(6) Shon, Y.-S.; Choi, D. Dendritic Functionalization of Metal Nanoparticles for Nanoparticle-Cored Dendrimers. Current Nanoscience 2007, 3, 245-254.
(7) Fonticelli, M.; Corthey, G.; Benitez, G.; Salvarezza, R. C.; Giovanetti, L. J.; Requejo, F. G.; Shon, Y.-S. Preparation of Ultrathin Thiolate-Covered Bimetallic Systems: From Extended Planar to Curved Nanoparticle surfaces, J. Phys. Chem. C. 2007, 111, 9359-9364.
(8) Grumelli, D.; Vericat, C.; Benitez, G.; Vela, M. E.; Salvarezza, R. C.; Giovanetti, L. J.; Ramallo-López, J. M.; Requejo, F. G.; Craievich, A. F.; Shon, Y.-S. Thiolate-Capped Gold Nanoparticles on Graphite: Spontaneous Adsorption and Electrochemically Induced Release. J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 7179-7184.
(9) Cutler, E. C.*; lundin, E.*; Garabato, B. D.*; Choi, D.; Shon, Y.-S. Dendritic Functionalization of Monolayer-Protected Gold Nanoparticles. Mater. Res. Bull. 2007, 42, 1178-1185.