Spanish, French, and German Placement Exam Information
In an effort to better place students at the appropriate level of a language course, the Department of Romance, German, Russian Languages and Literatures (RGRLL) has implemented a Placement Test. If you have taken Spanish 101B, 201A, 201B or French, or German 101A, 101B, 201A, 201B at CSULB, this placement test does not apply to you. If you are enrolled in Spanish 101B / German 101A / French 101A, or a transfer student registered in a Spanish, French, or German first- or second-year language class, you must take this exam.
The Spanish, French and German placement exams are offered online. You will be charged $10.00 to take this exam. If you do not have internet access at home, you may take the exam at in the language lab (LAB 306) or any computer lab on campus.
To access the Spanish, French and/or German placement exam:
- Click on the URL: http://www.perpetualworks.com/students/register
- Enter contact information, billing information, and payment information.
- Once you submit information successfully, you can take the exam right away, or wait to take the exam. However, you must take the placement test by the end of the first week of class.
- You will also receive an e-mail confirmation of your purchase with the link to take the exam later and an exam ID (password).
- Click the drop-down menu to select a language (Spanish is the default).
- After the language is selected, click the “Begin” button.
- Upon completion of the required identification fields and the survey, click the “Continue” button to proceed with the test.
- For your own records, please print your score after taking the online placement test.
Placement Test Scores
101A: Below 280
101B: 281 – 360
210A: 361 – 440
201B: 441 – 500
101A: Below 280
101B: 281 – 370
201A: 371 – 450
201B: 451 – 520
101A: Below 300
101B: 301 – 390
201A: 391 – 470
201B: 471 – 540