Graduate Research Fellowship
General program/eligibility requirements for 2012-2013 (for example purposes only – the 2012-2013 application process has ended):
- I am in good academic standing in a Master’s or Doctoral Program at CSULB.
- I have submitted the 2011-2012 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to the processing agency (not required for non-California residents). NOTE: FAFSA [priority] deadline is March 2, 2012.
- I will respond to any requests for additional documents to complete the review of my application by the financial aid office.
- I understand the award of a Graduate Fellowship must be coordinated with other types/sources of aid for which I am being considered; thus, other awards may be adjusted/reduced as a result.
- I must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as set forth in the University catalog and in CSULB campus policy for financial aid. (PLEASE NOTE YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO CARRY 5 [GRAD] UNITS PER SEMESTER)
In addition to [the] application form, please provide the following:
- A submission from your faculty mentor, including the following:
- Description of the plan for collaboration between faculty mentor and student, including the responsibilities of and expectations for the student, and how the student will benefit from the mentoring/collaboration process. *Please note that the fellowship is not intended to serve as a graduate assistantship to support the research of the faculty mentor; the primary purpose of the fellowship is to support the student’s research or creative activity.
- A description of the importance of the scholarly or creative activity for the discipline or profession, identifying the specific contribution of the student if the student is working collaboratively with the faculty mentor (3 page, double-spaced maximum).
2. A submission from you, the student, including the following:
- Narrative describing the proposed research or creative activity, the anticipated outcomes, and the potential contribution of the work to the body of knowledge and discipline/profession (3 page double-spaced maximum).
- Description of your educational and career goals.
- Copy of your unofficial transcripts, including graduate coursework (if any); and the last two years (60 semester/90 quarter units) of undergraduate work.
Requirements for narrative/plan submissions from mentor and student:
1. Font should be no less than 11-point.
2. Margins should be set at no less than one (1) inch on all sides of the paper.
3. Should be written for the general reader, avoiding jargon with which only those in a particular discipline or profession are familiar.