Thank you for your interest in the Master of Arts in Political Science program at California State University, Long Beach. Below you will find important information that will guide you through the application process. If you have any further questions please email the graduate coordinator Cora.Goldstein@csulb.edu or Elizabeth.Galvan@csulb.edu
for Fall Admission: February 15th
for Spring Admission: October 1st
Political Science Department Admissions Requirements*
The minimum prerequisites for consideration are:
1. A bachelor’s degree with a major in political science OR a bachelor’s degree with 24 units of upper division courses in political science comparable to those required for a major in political science at CSULB.
2. Completion of a minimum of one upper-division political theory course equivalent to POSC 301 or POSC 303 at CSULB, with a grade of “B” or better.
3. Students whose undergraduate work is deficient in political science will be required to make up certain courses. Deficiencies will be determined by the Department’s Graduate Committee after taking into account each student’s background and goals. These courses will not count toward credit in the M.A.
4. A 3.0 (“B”) GPA in political science courses taken as an undergraduate. (A student whose GPA is less than 3.0 may appeal to the Department’s Graduate Committee for a possible waiver of this requirement.)
5. Three letters of recommendation (preferably from academic sources).
*Please note that these are the minimum prerequisites necessary for admission consideration.
International Student Admissions Requirements
Please check with the Center for International Education for further details on the specific requirements for international applicants.
Center for International Education
1250 Bellflower Blvd., BH 201
Long beach, CA 90840-0109
The following materials are required for ALL applicants:
1. University Application (https://secure.csumentor.edu/)
Requirements 2-4 are to be mailed to:
|Department of Political Science- SSPA 257
Attn: Graduate Coordinator
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
3. A statement of purpose of approximately 500 words that includes a discussion of your motivations and qualification for entering the MA program.
4. Three academic Letters of Recommendation. (At least two from academic sources)
Application Success Tools:
Application Checklist (Domestic applicants)
Application Checklist (International applicants)