Scholarships and Awards
The Department of Philosophy is pleased to announce two scholarship competitions for 2012-2013. These scholarships have been made possible by the generosity of the Whittington family and the Department.
Scholarships for both Undergraduate and Graduate Philosophy Students
Whittington Scholarship: $300
The Whittington Scholarship was established with a generous gift from Marie Whittington and her late husband, Edward Whittington, retired Los Angeles commercial photographers and long-standing friends of the CSULB Philosophy Department. After the Whittingtons raised their three children, Marie Whittington returned to college and received a B.A. degree in Philosophy in 1979 from CSULB, graduating “with great distinction.” Her name appeared on the President’s list numerous times, and she was named the Outstanding B.A. graduate. In addition, she served as President of Phi Sigma Tau. Mrs. Whittington then returned to complete an M.A. in Philosophy in 1982, writing her Master’s thesis on the topic “Why Preserve Species?” After receiving her M.A. degree, Mrs. Whittington taught philosophy for some years as a part-time lecturer at CSULB, Golden West College, and Marymount College. The annual scholarship is supported by a generous endowment gift from the Whittington’s. The winner of the Whittington Scholarship will receive listing in the Spring 2013 commencement program and a specially printed certificate from the Department.
Friends of Philosophy Scholarship: $300
Friends of Philosophy scholarships are supported by generous donations from CSULB alumni and others.
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled for at least 12 units (if an undergraduate) or at least 6 units (if a graduate student) in Fall 2012.
- Be an upper-division or graduate student majoring in philosophy at the time of application.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate or graduate GPA (whichever is applicable) of at least 3.2 overall.
- Plan to complete his or her B.A. or M.A. in Philosophy at CSULB. Previous recipients of the Whittington Scholarship are ineligible for a second Whittington Scholarship. Previous recipients of other scholarships in the Department are eligible for a second scholarship, but will receive a lower priority, based on financial need.
To apply for these scholarships, submit just one application (based on this one application, you will be considered for all scholarships for which you are eligible). Your application must include:
- The “Scholarship Application” form (click here to download form).
- A cover letter of no more than one page stating why you believe you deserve this scholarship. This letter may also contain additional information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating your application, including special accomplishments while at CSULB such as activity or leadership in organizations, community involvement, research, honors, awards, etc., your plans for further study or a career after you complete your degree objective at CSULB, or special financial need.
- One sample of your philosophical writing (e.g., a paper written for a class).
Complete applications must be received by the Department (MHB-917) no later than 10:00 a.m. sharp on Wednesday, December 5, 2012. Scholarship winners will be announced by the end of the Fall 2012 term.
Note: If insufficient qualified applications are received to award all scholarships, funds will be held for scholarships in a subsequent semester. The Department of Philosophy reserves the right not to award all the scholarships available in a given year.