There is a two-step process for applying to the linguistics graduate program.
(2) Then apply to the linguistics department, using the department’s Graduate Application Form.
Please send the completed application to:
Dr. Rebekha Abbuhl
Department of Linguistics
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, California 90840-0902
For Spring admission: apply by October 1st.
For Fall admission: apply by March 15th.
Requirements for admission
The general university minimum requirements include:
- Completion of a four-year college course of study leading to an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Good standing at the last college or university attended.
- An English language demonstration for applicants who do not have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a U.S. accredited institution.
The Linguistics department additionally requires:
- A GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units attempted, excluding lower division and extension coursework taken after the degree.
Students who miss the application deadline may still take courses through Open University. They should apply to the university and department for regular admission in a subsequent semester.
There is a limit to the number of Open University classes that may be used to fulfill program requirements. If you are planning to take courses through Open University as a step towards a Linguistics M.A, please discuss your plans with the graduate advisor.