Posted on June 24, 2013 by Scott Honda
I got out into the field today to collect some data. I started off at the south end of Kualoa Park to locate an old fish-pond wall. It was quite easy to find as a part of it is still on the sand. All I had was a recreation grade Garmin GPS, but I still took points and ran a track along and around the wall. A large part of it was submerged so it was somewhat difficult to tell where the wall ended. When I overlayed the GPS track of the wall over the imagery, my lines were consistent with the World View 2 imagery. So it shows that the World View 2 imagery is capable (at least in this instance) of detecting underwater features. After the program is done I’d like to do a survey with a total station in that area. I’d be able to get a more accurate, more precise map of the wall and a favorable point cloud of the wall.
I then proceeded to do some snorkeling around the area to see if I could find fish where I thought they would be based off the pansharpened-pca-imagery. I did see some Weke (goatfish) and a bunch of other reef fish. The reef fish located mainly around coral heads. The Wekes I saw were in an open, sandy/dead coral area where reef was near-by. Unfortunately, other than the 3 Wekes and reef fish I did not see anything else. One thing that I did notice was that there was a lot of dead coral toward the east facing side of the park. It was quite saddening to see all that dead coral, I can only imagine how much life the dead coral used to harbor.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.