The Writing Proficiency Exam
A list of practice WPE writing prompts is available at the following link for free to all CSULB students. When asked for a username and password, enter your campus email username and password.
For testing information, visit the following link:
Testing and Evaluation Services
1250 Bellflower Boulevard, Brotman Hall, Room 216
Long Beach, CA 90840-0110
WPE Testing Dates:
September 22, 2012 and November 17, 2012
Fall 2012 Workshop Descriptions and Dates
Understanding and Responding to WPE Prompts
During this workshop, students will learn skills and techniques to use when confronted with WPE prompts. They will learn to identify key phrases that will help them distinguish between one-sided, two-sided, and open-ended questions and will practice deciphering and responding to prompts quickly and effectively.
- Tuesday, February 12, 1:00 – 2:30pm
- Friday, February 15, 9:30 – 11:00am
- Tuesday, April 16, 1:00 – 2:30pm
- Friday, April 19, 9:30 – 11:00am
Writing Effective Thesis Statements for the WPE
This workshop will expose students to eight different types of two-part argumentative thesis statements which they can use to effectively answer most WPE prompts, the specific purpose of each type of statement, and the types of paragraphs needed to help them generate a well-written WPE response. Students will work with sample WPE prompts and practice writing effective thesis statements with the help of WRL tutors.
- Wednesday, February 13, 3:00 – 4:30pm
- Friday, February 15, 11:30am – 1:00pm
- Wednesday, April 17, 3:00 – 4:30pm
- Friday, April 19, 11:30am – 1:00pm
Time Management and Pre-writing Techniques for the WPE
In this workshop, students will be given tips to help them prepare to take the WPE, such as familiarizing themselves with current events and grammar topics. In addition, students will learn specific time management strategies and pre-writing techniques that they can use to approach any timed writing situation.
- Thursday, February 14, 12:00 – 1:30pm
- Friday, February 15, 1:30 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, April 18, 12:00 – 1:30pm
- Friday, April 19, 1:30 – 3:00pm