The Writing Proficiency Exam
A list of practice WPE writing prompts is available at the following link for free to all CSULB students. When asked for a username and password, enter your campus email username and password.
For testing information, visit the following link:
Testing and Evaluation Services
1250 Bellflower Boulevard, Brotman Hall, Room 216
Long Beach, CA 90840-0110
WPE Testing Dates:
September 21, 2012 and November 16, 2012
Fall 2013 Workshop Descriptions and Dates
Understanding and Responding to WPE Prompts
During this workshop, students will learn skills and techniques to use when confronted with WPE prompts. They will learn to identify key phrases that will help them distinguish between one-sided, two-sided, and open-ended questions and will practice deciphering and responding to prompts quickly and effectively.
- Tuesday, September 17, TBD
- Friday, September 20, 9:30am – 11:00am
- Tuesday, November 12, TBD
- Friday, November 15, 9:30am – 11:00am
Writing Effective Thesis Statements for the WPE
This workshop will expose students to eight different types of two-part argumentative thesis statements which they can use to effectively answer most WPE prompts, the specific purpose of each type of statement, and the types of paragraphs needed to help them generate a well-written WPE response. Students will work with sample WPE prompts and practice writing effective thesis statements with the help of WRL tutors.
- Wednesday, September 18, 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Friday, September 20, 11:30am – 1:00pm
- Wednesday, November 13, 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Friday, November 15, 11:30am – 1:00pm
Time Management and Pre-writing Techniques for the WPE
In this workshop, students will be given tips to help them prepare to take the WPE, such as familiarizing themselves with current events and grammar topics. In addition, students will learn specific time management strategies and pre-writing techniques that they can use to approach any timed writing situation.
- Thursday, September 19, TBD
- Friday, September 20, 1:30 – 3:00pm
- Thursday, November 14, TBD
- Friday, November 15, 1:30pm – 3:00pm