Anthropology Graduate Student Association (AGSA)
The Anthropology Graduate Student Association of California State University Long Beach, also known as Anthro Grads or AGSA, is an non-profit academic student association operating exclusively for the following several purposes:
- To promote the existence and welfare of a graduate student community in the Department of Anthropology at California State University Long Beach.
- To foster leadership opportunities and professional development in the field of anthropology.
- To organize social and academic events that provide for social gathering, academic stimulation, and stress relief amongst its members.
President - Maura Cotter cotter.maura10@ gmail.com.
Vice President - Candice Brennan email@example.com
Secretary - Ambyr Hardy
Treasurer - Jen Torson
Social Media Coordinator – Leah Sakacs
CLASC Representative- Kristen Althizer firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the President, Maura Cotter for more information at cotter.maura10@ gmail.com.
Anthropology Student Association (ASA)
President – Caydee Manning email@example.com
Vice President -
Contact the President, Caydee Manning firstname.lastname@example.org
Please continue to check back for information about event and meetings times in Fall 2013.
9/10/13: 1st ASA Group Meeting (Meet & Greet/Refreshments)
9/17/13: 2nd ASA Group Meeting
Brief introduction to OrgSync/BeachSync and CSULB Anthropology website & its valuable resources
9/21/13: ASA Group Trip to His Lai Temple
(the largest Buddhist Temple in the Western Hemisphere)- this trip is on a Saturday & we will meet at the temple at 1:10pm and begin our guided tour at 1:30 pm.
- We will be taking a guided tour of the temple, which will cover the Bodhisattva Hall, gardens, courtyard, and Main Shrine. We will also be visiting the art gallery/museum.
- $10 donation per person includes guided tour, vegetarian lunch buffet in the temple cafeteria, and entrance to the art gallery/museum.
10/1/13: 3rd ASA Group Meeting ( Grad School Forum)
10/15/13: 4th ASA Group Meeting (What Can Be Done With an Anthropology Undergraduate Degree Workshop)
10/19/13: ASA Group Trip to Homeland Cultural Center for African Drum class
– This trip is on a Saturday & we will meet at the cultural center at 9:45am
- The class is from 10am-2pm.
- The cost is $10 per person
10/29/13: 5th ASA Group Meeting
Share and discuss any past, present, or future projects of interest.This includes, but is not limited to submissions for professional conferences (such as AAA or SWA), presentations/ displays/ projects, whether on campus or in the community, and projects for classes that members may want to share, discuss, or ask questions about.
Brief introduction to the Augmented Cambodia Town Project
11/12/13: 6th ASA Group meeting Open discussion & refreshments
11/19/13: 7th & Final ASA Group Meeting
-Last meeting before finals
-Meet at the Nugget to grab a bite to eat and decompress for a while.
12/3/13: Anthropology Department Mixer
Other events/trips that will occur, but have dates/times that will be announced during the semester include:
- Sweat Lodge Ceremony (Lakota)
- Will most likely take place on the evening of either a full moon or a new moon during the semester
- Possible dates include:
- 9/19/13 (full)
- 10/5/13 (new)
- 11/3/13 (new)
- 11/17/13 (full)
- Trip to the Santa Ana Zoo
- The focus will be on primates, but we will enjoy many other aspects of the zoo.
- Possible performance by Prumsodun Ok (Associate Artistic Director of Khmer Arts)
- Forensic Anthropology Presentation given by Dr. Beth Miller, Forensic Anthropologist CSULA
Women in the Military Panel- Wednesday April 24, 2013
With support from the Multicultural Center and the Women’s Resource Center.
Anthropology Graduation Banquet- Tuesday May 21, 2013
Anthropology Graduation Day
THURSDAY, MAY 23, 2013 1:00 P.M.
Families and Friends of Anthropology Graduates meet with each other and Anthropology faculty in after the ceremony.
Anthropology vs. Linguistics Outrigger Canoe Race- Sunday April 28, 2013
Mother’s Beach starting at 11am
Anthropologist wear red, linguists wear white.
You are encouraged to bring a food or drink to share!
Nugget Meetup- Let’s drink some encouragement and exchange ideas!
Date: Wednesday, February 15th
Place: the Nugget
Department Events Sexing the Nuclear: Iranian Research Panel
Time: September 24 · 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Location: CSULB Beach Auditorium
Sponsor: CSULB Anthropology Graduate Student Association
October 18th- Next AGSA Meeting @ 6pm.
October 19th- ASA (Undergrad Anthropology club) is having a Graduate School Workshop @ 5pm.
October 25th- Jayne Howell will talk at our weekly meeting.
October 28th- Anthropology Student & Faculty Mixer. This is a great opportunity to become more familiar with undergrad students, other graduate students, and faculty members!
November 5th- SPSS Seminar(Part 1) with Dr. Abduhl @ 10-11am.
November 20th- Cambodian Arts & Culture Exhibition. Put on by the Historical Ethnography class as well as an anthropology class at CSUDH.
December 2nd- Amish Night! We will watch Devil’s Playground and have an Amish themed potluck @ 7pm.
December 10th- SPSS Seminar (Part 2) with Dr. Abbuhl.
Michael Robertson, Maura Cotter, Allison Hunt, Brenna Traynor and Jolene Del Pozo
Do you have questions or comments? Do you have ideas for an event? Would you like to be more involved in the Anthropology Graduate Student Association? Would you like to be an officer next year?
Please Contact: cotter.maura10[@]gmail.com
Student Membership Application – Membership is limited to CSULB Anthropology Graduate Students, but events are open to anyone.