The CSULB Department of Anthropology offers two forms of an MA in Anthropology. The program is designed to meet the needs of students who are seeking to expand their knowledge and increase their competence in Anthropology, or those who wish to pursue applied anthropological work locally or globally, or for those who are preparing for advanced academic careers such as doctoral programs.
PROGRAM – See the University Catalog for more details.
For additional information, contact:Dr. Alexandra Jaffe, Graduate Advisor Department of Anthropology California State University, Long Beach 1250 Bellflower Blvd Long Beach, CA 90840-1003 Telephone: (562)985-2594 Email: Alexandra.Jaffe@csulb.edu
Requirements for Admission
Applicants normally must fulfill the following prerequisites:
1. Satisfy the requirements for admission to the University as a graduate student (see http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollment/html/graduate_programs.html )
2. (a) A bachelor’s degree in anthropology; or
(b) bachelor’s degree with 24 units of upper division courses in anthropology, comparable to those required of anthropology majors at this University; or
(c) hold a B. A. in another field, either a social science, humanity, education or medical science one [depending on which concentration they are applying for], with fewer than 24 units of upper-division course work in anthropology and show evidence of strong potential skills in anthropology. Students under category (c) should submit a petition together with whatever supporting materials recommended by the Graduate Advisor, in addition to those normally required for admission [see below]. Applicants in this category may also be required to complete prerequisite courses after conditional admission.
Domestic Students (International students see special instructions on following pages). In addition to their application to the University via the Office of Admissions, including the Student Aid Application for California (SCACC) all prospective graduate students must submit an application directly to the Department of Anthropology.
3. Admission to the CSULB Anthropology M.A. program does not require Graduate Record Examination (G.R.E.) test results, but is recommended for prospective students.
The University application period for the next Fall Semester begins on November 1 and until capacity is reached; the Department of Anthropology application deadline is March 1st. Consideration for early admission starts February 1st. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
March 1st – DEPARTMENT DEADLINE
November 1st – The University application period for the next Fall Semester begins on November 1 and until capacity is reached;
March 1st – the Anthropology Departmental MA Admission Application.Fall 2015. deadline is March 1st.
February 1 – Consideration for early admission starts February 1st. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
See below for admissions and application requirements.
Students must apply separately to both the University and the Department of Anthropology for admission to the Graduate Anthropology Program.
(2) Apply to the Department of Anthropology through the Anthropology Departmental MA Admission Application.Fall 2015. . (Read below for more information)
There is a two-step process for applying to the Anthropology Graduate program.
Students should apply to both the Center for International Education and the Department of Anthropology for admission to the Anthropology Graduate Program.
(1) Center for International Education: Instead of applying to the Office of Admissions ( CSUMentor), which is required of the domestic students, international students must apply directly to the Center for International Education http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/aa/grad_undergrad/cie/. All information required in this application, such as the Graduate Application Form (along with the required educational documents, and the Affidavit of Support, should be sent directly to the CIE. NOTE: The CIE application filing period for the next Fall Semester is November 1-30 (the document completion deadline is May 1), and the Department of Anthropology application deadline is March 1st. Consideration for early admission starts February 1st. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
(2) Apply to the Department of Anthropology through the Anthropology Departmental MA Admission Application.Fall 2015. (Read below for more information)
The application to the Department must include:
1. A properly completed Department of Anthropology Graduate Student Application Form available from the Department Office or download the Department of Anthropology application.
2. A formal statement of purpose (of about 2 pages), detailing the reasons why you want to conduct graduate work in the Anthropology Program, what you hope to gain professionally from the Program, and a discussion of your short/long term goals.
3. A research paper or technical report that you feel is representative of your analytical/critical thinking and writing capabilities.
4. Three letters of recommendation from persons well acquainted with your work (recommendation forms are available from the Anthropology Department office or download the document).
Please send the completed application to:Graduate Coordinator Department of Anthropology California State University, Long Beach 1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840-1003 USA
Evaluation of applications will be on the basis of the above materials. In general, the applicant should have a good overall academic record, favorable recommendations, demonstrated ability to carry out research and to write effectively, and a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 if recently a student.
Updated July 14, 2014