Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font


    • Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

      CSULB requires all graduates to complete a Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement. The most common way to complete this requirement is with the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE). Undergraduate students must attempt the WPE during the semester in which they will earn 65 units. Visit the Testing and Evaluation Services website for more information.


  • Choosing a Major and/or Minor(From 2011-2012 University Catalog)

    Choosing a major is one of the most important, and sometimes most difficult, academic decision students will make during their college careers. There may be many possible choices of major that would provide preparation for a given career. The section on Degrees, Options, Minors, and Certificates earlier in this Catalog shows the many choices available and where to find information on each. Many departments have additional information posted on their web pages, accessible from the university’s home page. Students are encouraged to interview faculty in possible majors and to seek the help of student services professionals to assist them in making this important decision.

    A choice of major is not a final decision.  There is no limit to the number of times a student may change majors.


      • Declaring a Major

        Undergraduate students declaring a major for the first time or changing from one degree program or degree option program to another must meet with the undergraduate advisor from the department offering their chosen program of study. All change of major requests are submitted online, no form is needed.


  • Minors

    A minor is a means to complement the major by broadening the student’s academic experience or serving as preparation for a specific career. Usually a minor is not required for the baccalaureate; however, students may elect to complete a minor and have that fact noted on their records. A minor consists of a minimum of 18 units, as specified by the department or program, at least nine of which must be upper-division.


  • Checking your progress/units

    Frequently check your Acaemic Requirements Report (ARR) through MyCSULB to ensure that you are on track to a timely graduation. The ARR lists all required components of your degree – minimum units required, GE requirements, declared major/minor requirements, etc. Students are expected to use this tool and learn how to navigate their degree.