Are you majoring or minoring in the
College of Liberal Arts? Our office is here to support you.
The ATLAS (Advising Teaching Liberal Arts Students) Network is a collaboration of advisors, professional staff, and faculty committed to the satisfaction and success of Liberal Arts majors at Cal State Long Beach. As the advising hub for the College of Liberal Arts, ATLAS partners with students and their major departments to best assist and support our undergraduates on the road to graduation.
Student retention, development, and timely graduation are central to our efforts at ATLAS as we provide advising workshops, oversee learning communities, monitor class enrollments, and support Liberal Arts faculty and staff. Our trained advisors are not only qualified to assist students with their overall degree and general education requirements, they are also experts at guiding students in the exploration of academic options, reviewing academic requirements, and troubleshooting student issues and concerns.
Do you have questions about your degree? Contact the ATLAS Network today.
Freshman Mandatory Advising
All freshmen are required to receive academic advising during their first year at CSULB. Your advising hold will be lifted once you have completed a mandatory advising session.
While our advising workshops for Spring 2013 have concluded, if you are a freshman with a major in the College of Liberal Arts who still needs academic advising, contact us at (562) 985-7804 or email@example.com to set up an appointment. We will help you plan your Fall 2013 class schedule and answer any questions you may have about the advising process.
College of Liberal Arts Major Advising
In the College of Liberal Arts, advising occurs in the department/discipline you have chosen as your academic major. Advising is a shared responsibility between you and your major advisor. We suggest you meet regularly with your faculty advisor to ensure you stay on track with your major and degree completion requirements.
Follow these simple guidelines so you and your advisor can spend your time more effectively strategizing your career path and assessing your progress:
- Bring an updated copy of your Academic Requirements Report (be sure to click on “Expand All” before your print so you have the most complete information. Save ink and print it in black and white).
- Have a list of questions ready.
- Be an active participant in your meeting – it’s your life and your plan!
- If you are meeting to discuss course selection, review the available classes beforehand on My.CSULB.
- Be on time! Be courteous and call ahead or email if you cannot make your appointment time.
- Keep your records all together in one file that you can bring to each meeting with your advisor.