About the Wellness Week
INAUGURAL “COLLEGE OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES WELLNESS WEEK” – April 23-28, 2012
The upcoming inaugural CHHS Wellness Week celebration will be held on campus April 23-28, 2012. This year’s theme is “Your Passport to Healthy Aging” and it anticipated that this will become an annual CHHS event involving the entire university and greater Long Beach community.
The College of Health & Human Services vision is to become nationally and internationally recognized as an innovator and leader in community connections, the discovery of knowledge, and for educating diverse students in the health and human services professions. In keeping the College’s mission to Connect, Discover, Educate the inaugural CHHS Wellness Week is being celebrated to underscore the College’s academic mission through its tradition of community outreach.
Highlights of CHHS Wellness Week:
- The Donald P. Lauda Wellness Lecture on April 24th has been integrated as the signature event of CHHS Wellness Week. The topic for this year’s lecture is “It Takes a Village: Vibrant Aging-in-Place Communities” featuring guest panelists Janis Brewer, Dr. Pamela Chapman and Dr. Joseph F. Prevratil who will share their views, expertise and experience about the growing older-adult village movement in America. The panel will be moderated by Professor Barbara White. Last held in March 2009, the Lauda Lecture was established through financial support from Kaiser Permanente. For further information visit: www.csulb.edu/lauda-lecture.
- Nursing alumna Lori Brault, MS RNP, is presenting a seminar “Can You Imagine Your Retirement?” on April 23rd, Noon to 1:00 p.m. at the CSULB Beach Auditorium
- Kinesiology Emerita Professor Mel Leach is providing demonstrations on “Discovering Archery as a Lifelong Sport” on April 23 & 26, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the CSULB Archery Fieldhouse and Range
- Your Passport to Healthy Aging Expo sponsored by the CHHS Student Council features Health Walks, Exercise Demonstrations & Activities, Self-Guided & Guided Tours (CSULB Friendship Walk on various days and venues)
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) Open House on April 27th
- Association for Chemoreception Sciences Symposium “Olfaction in Health and Disease” on April 28th, 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at OLLI Classroom HSD 101
- CHHS King & Queen FUNdraiser competition on April 27th at 6:30 p.m. CSULB Beach Auditorium
- CHHS School and Department Open Houses (various)