Master of Science in Health Care Administration
Program Information (Code HCA_MS01)
The Master of Science in Health Care Administration (MSHCA) curriculum consists of 45 units of course work. Required courses cover the essential functions of management and critical aspects of the US health care system. Electives, tailored to students' learning goals, include courses in health care site specialization and other academic disciplines.
The Health Care Administration Program at CSULB has established affiliation with a large number of regional health care facilities that furnish internship sites, field trip settings, and personnel resources and adjunct faculty. The Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Management Education (CAHME).
Health Care Administration Program Admission Requirements
Specific Admission Criteria
- Complete MSHCA Application (for MSHCA Application Form click here).
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of 9 units of course work that include: accounting, economics and statistics.
- An applicant must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better. Those applicants with less than 3.0, but with acceptable evidence of professional potential shown through recent academic performance and experiential background, may be admitted by special action of the Program Graduate Committee.
- A current and complete resume including references.
- Statement of Purpose describing your career goals in Health Care Administration.
- Submission of scores on recent Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
- Interview with member of faculty or preceptor may be required.
Students who do not meet the criteria above may be admitted conditionally.
- Conditional admission criteria:
- Students without a bachelor's degree must submit proof of graduation during their first semester of enrollment.
- Students whose undergraduate cumulative GPA is less than 3.0 may be admitted if:
- the student presents a record of strong job performance in a health administration position; or
- if the student has an overall score of over 500 on the GMAT. Students admitted under these conditions must achieve a minimum GPA of 3.25 in their first two semesters of enrollment in the Program.
- Students enrolled in HCA courses through University College and Extension Services (UCES) or in another university health administration graduate program may be accepted conditionally if they achieve a minimum GPA of 3.0 in such courses. Up to six units of courses taken through UCES may be applied toward the MSHA degree.
- Conditional admission process:
- The Program will notify students they are conditionally admitted by letter or e-mail.
- The Program Director will review student GPAs each semester.
- After two semesters, the Program Director will notify students who have met the conditions of their admission to the Program and those who have not that they are denied.
Application to the MSHCA Program is a two step process:
- Apply to the University by filling out the application form at http://www.csumentor.edu; pay the current application fee of $55; and make arrangements to send official transcripts to: CSULB, Enrollment Services, 1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840.
- Prepare an application packet to the Health Care Administration Program which includes: copies of transcripts, the application form, resume, three letters of recommendation, Statement of Purpose and GMAT scores. The HCA Program address is: CSULB, Health Care Administration Program, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90840-4902.
The following CSULB courses or their equivalent:
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 201)
- Microeconomics (ECON 101 or 300)
- Statistics (PSY 110, SOC 250 or IS 310)
Students should contact the Program Director for a determination of any deficiencies and required remediation.
- Completion of graduate level course work in Health Care Administration: HCA 451, 502, 505, 510, 515, 517, 524, 530, 535, 550, and HSC 500.
- Completion of any two of the following elective courses: HCA 536, 537, 538, 539, 552, or 580. Elective from other departments such as IS 584 Electronic Commerce, IS 590 Management Support Systems and Data Management Systems are allowed with the approval of Program Director.
- Completion of 6 units in the HCA 698 Project course.
Advancement to Candidacy
A student must be enrolled in the semester or summer session in which advancement to candidacy takes place, and this must occur no later than one semester or summer session prior to completion of course requirements. Normally, a student is eligible and should file for advancement to candidacy after completing six units of graduate course work for the graduate degree program with a 3.0 grade-point average.
Students will be instructed to apply for advancement to candidacy after:
- Completion of 6 units of course work that apply to the degree with an average grade of "B" or better.
- Passing the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) and submitting evidence of same to Department Office, and
- Approval of the Program Director.
For further information, admission or advising information please contact the
HCA Program Office: (562) 985-5694 or email@example.com.