What Courses are Studied?
You will learn to plan and deliver a variety of educational programs in many kinds of settings. You will become skilled at making presentations, motivating learners, and using new technologies. Subject areas include:
Curriculum, Instructional Methodology, and Assessment
Food and Nutrition
Hospitality, Foodservice & Hotel Mgmt.
Child Development and Family Studies
Apparel, Design & Merchandising
Consumer Life Skills
Who Chooses this Major?
· care about empowering individuals and families to manage the challenges of living and working in a diverse, global society.
· are interested in problems that affect families and consumers.
· want a broad and varied course of study.
· are interested in technological developments that enhance living and working environments.
· desire a career in teaching, training, or an education related profession.
What are Possible Career Options?
Family and Consumer Sciences Education offers career goals such as:
· Teachers in secondary schools
. Consumer affairs specialists
· Educational program specialists in business, industry, government, or cooperative extension.
What is the Salary and Employment Outlook?
· The need for FCS teachers in CA and the US far exceeds current supply!
· First-rate benefits and professional affiliations!
· Excellent salaries, ranging from $30K to $50K!
· Placement for CSULB graduates in FCS Education is 100%! Most have positions before completing the program!
A Bachelor of Arts degree in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (FCSE) prepares students for careers in teaching in junior and senior high schools, vocational and adult education programs, and California community colleges. Other career options include positions in child care education, cooperative extension service, government and community agency services; and educational programming in the business industry.
Courses in the program focus on enhancing the quality of life for diverse individuals and families through assignments, activities, and projects that promote generating solutions to problems encountered in daily living. Students who wish to teach in public schools and community colleges must complete requirements to earn the appropriate teaching credential.
Click here for more information on the Home Economics Credential.
How Long is the Program?
With early planning it is possible to complete the B.A. degree in four years. Earning a Single Subject teaching credential adds three more semesters (34 units) beyond the B.A. degree. If students are interested in teaching, they are advised to enroll in EDSS 300H—Introduction to Teaching in their Junior or Senior year.
What order do I take classes in? Sequence flowchart
Choose an advising sheet according to the year you declared FCS Education as your major:
|Letter of Your Last Name||Advisor|