Currently Professor of Marketing and Director of International Business Programs, all of my teaching and much of my research is in the international domain. I have published in a number of journals and serve on four editorial boards. Starting January 1, 2010, I will be Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Marcromarketing.
Teaching Interests: International Marketing, International Business, Short-Term Study Abroad Courses
Research Interests: Marketing in developing countries, cross-cultural consumer research, history of marketing and marketing thought, consumer history
- Ph D, University of California at Berkeley, 1980
Major: Business Administration
- MS, University of California at Los Angeles, 1972
Major: Management/Marketing Emphasis
- BA, Northwestern University, 1970
- Director, International Business Program, California State University, Long Beach (2008 - Present)
- Professor, California State University, Long Beach (1989 - Present)
- Associate Professor, California State University, Long Beach (1982 - 1989)
- Instructor, University of Texas at Austin (1978 - 1982)
- Associate, University of California, Berkeley (1976 - 1977)
- Lecturer, California State University, Hayward (1976 - 1976)
Research and Scholarly ActivitiesJournal Article, Academic Journal
- “Marketeando: Domesticating Marketing Education the ‘Peruvian Way,’” (2013), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "Spectator Consumption Practices at the Roman Games" (2012), Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
- "Marketiing Education and Acculturation in the Early 20th Century: Evidence from Polish Language Texts on Selling and Salesmanship" (2012), Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
- "The Marketing Discipline Come of Age, 1934-1936" (2010), Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
- "A Brief History of Frugality Discourses in the United States" (2010), Consumption, Markets & Culture.
- "Antecedents of Ethical Consumption Activities in Germany and the United States" (2010), Australasian Marketing Journal.
- "General Book Store in Chicago, 1938-1947: Linking Neighborhood to Nation" (2009), Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
- "State Promotion of Consumerism in Safavid Iran: Shah Abbas I and Royal Silk Textiles" (2009), Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
- "Food Marketing and Obesity in Developing Countries: Analysis, Ethics and Public Policy" (2007), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "Lebensmittelmarketing aus Verbrauchersicht: Ein deutsch-amerikanisches Meinungsbild" (2006), Focus on Nutrition.
- "Fair Trade Marketing: An Alternative System for Globalization and Development" (2005), Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice.
- "Sources of Immoderation and Proportion in Marketing Thought" (2005), Marketing Theory.
- "Anti-Global Challenges to Marketing in Developing Countries: Exploring the Ideological Divide" (2005), Journal of Public Policy and Marketing.
- "Re-Gendering Consumer Agency in Mid-Nineteenth-Century America: A Visual Understanding" (2004), Consumption, Markets and Culture.
- "Cross Cultural Influence on Brand Identity Impressions: KFC in China and the United States" (2003), Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics.
- "World War II Poster Campaigns: Preaching Frugality to American Consumers" (2003), Journal of Advertising.
- Review of "Sita Sings the Blues" by Nina Paley (2012), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "Commentary on the Macromarketing, Ethics, and Social Responsibility Works of Shelby D. Hunt" (2011), Sage Publications India.
- Review of "The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence by T. H. Breen" (2006), Journal of Macromarketing.
- Review of "Public Markets and Civic Culture in Nineteenth-Century America by Helen Tangires" (2004), Winterthur Portfolio.
- "A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America by Lizabeth Cohen" (2003), Journal of Macromarketing.
- “Courtesy and Kindness: Social Marketing and Cultural Control in Singapore” (2012), Macromarketing Society and Friei Universitaet Berlin.
- "Early Brand Development in the U.S. Firearms Industry" (2011), Conference on Historical Analysis & Research in Marketing.
- "Gun Culture USA: A Macromarketing Perspective in Exploring the Frontiers of Macromarketing" Proceedings of the 35th Annual Macromarketing Conference (2010), The Macromarketing Conference and the University of Wyoming.
- "Marketing Education in Viet Nam: A Review and Agenda for Development" Proceedings of the 11th ISMD International Conference on Markets and Development (2010), 11th ISMD International Conference, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- "'The Art of Commerce According to American Norms': Two Early Polish Language Texts on Selling and Salesmanship," in Marketing History: Strengthening, Straightening and Extending (2009), Conference on Historical Analysis & Research in Marketing.
- "Strategic Management of an Offshore Degree Programs: SWOT Analysis and Action Plan" (2009), Western Decision Sciences Institute Thirty-Eight Annual Meeting.
- "Global Food Marketing Systems and Local Cultural Change in the Developing World" (2008), Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Meeting of the Macromarketing Society.
- "Historiography in Marketing: Its Growth, Structure of Inquiry, and Disciplinary Status" (2008), Business and Economic History On-Line Vol. 6: The 2008 Annual Meeting.
- "Voluptuous Dialogues from a Gathering in the Garden: Women to Consume, Women to be Consumed in 17th Century Persia,' in Moving Beyond Binary Oppositions: Exploring the Tapestry of Gender in Consumer Research and Marketing" (2008), Proceedings of the 9th ACR Conference on Gender, Marketing, and Consumer Behavior.
- "The American Marketing Journal, the National Marketing Review, and the Intellectual Origins of the Journal of Marketing" (2007), Conference on Historical Analysis and Research in Marketing Association.
- "Consumer Attitudes Toward Food Marketing Policy Issues in Germany and the United States" (2006), Proceedings of the 35th European Marketing Academy Conference.
- "The Intersection of Neighborhood and Nation: General Book Store in Chicago, 1938-1947" (2005), The Future of Marketing's Past: Association for Historical Research in Marketing.
- "Marketing in Developing Nations: Anti-Global vs. Neo-Liberal Policy Implications" (2004), Marketing and Public Policy: Research Reaching New Heights, American Marketing Association.
- "Piracy of U.S. Motion Pictures in Developing Countries: Conduct, Remedies, and Future Prospects" (2003), Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Marketing and Development: Globalization, Transformation and Quality of Life.
- "What Would Jesus Drive?: Frugality Sermons in American Consumer Culture" (2003), Marketing to Diverse Cultures: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Macromarketing Conference.
- “The Visual Politics of U.S. Firearms Culture” (2011), 2011 Marketing and Public Policy Conference Proceedings.
- "Rethinking Marketing in a Global Economy: Proceedings of the 34th Annual Marcomarketing Conference (2009), The Macromarketing Society, Inc.
- " 'Marketing History at the Center' : Papers from the 2007 CHARM" (2009), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "In This Issue: Marketing History" (2008), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "In This Issue: The Future of Marketing's Past" (2007), Journal of Macromarketing.
- "Introduction to the Special Issue on the History of Marketing Thought" (2005), Marketing Theory.
- "Cross-Cultural Consumer and Business Research: An Introduction to the Special Section" (2005), Journal of Business Research.
- "Qualitative Historical Research in Marketing" (2006), Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods in Marketing.
- AMA's Special Session on How Can Marketing Scholars and the Institution of the Business School Drive Ahead with Market Meltdowns in the Rear-View Mirror?, "The Marketing Field and The Great Depression," AMA Winter Marketing Educators' Conference, New Orleans, LA (February , 2010)
- IREMAS-LaSalle Beauvais Conference, Food Marketing and Ethics Today, "The Ethics of Food Marketing and Development: An Historical Perspective," IREMAS-LaSalle Beauvais Conference, Paris, France (December , 2009)
- Conference on Corporate Responsibility and Global Business, "Understanding the Cultural Footprint of Global Food Marketing in Developing Countries," London Business School, (July 14, 2006)
- Annual Conference, Centre for the History of Retailing and Distribution, "Neighborhood Retailing in Chicago: General Book Store, 1938-1947," University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom (September , 2004)