I am an assistant professor in the Management/Human Resource Management department. My research focuses on manager-subordinate dyads, leadership, and organizational politics. Before my PhD, I worked in nonprofit management for the Mental Health America of Los Angeles. I currently serve as a leadership consultant in the non-profit sector.
Teaching Interests: •Basic and Subspecialty topics in Organizational Behavior •Human Resources Management •Leadership Effectiveness and Development •Negotiation Theory and Skills •Psychological Principles for Managers
Research Interests: •The subjective determinants of leadership effectiveness •The impact of manager-subordinate relationships on each party's individual performance •Organizational politics and its impact on people’s attempts to influence one another •How individuals’ psychological needs and expectations are expressed and managed in their relationships with managers •Perceptions of performance success and its effects on interpersonal judgments and interactions
- Ph D, University of California, Los Angeles, 2009
Major: Human Resources and Organizational Behavior
- BA, University of California, Berkeley, 2002
- Assistant Professor, California State University, Long Beach (2009 - Present)
- Teaching Assistant, University of California at Los Angeles (2004 - 2008)
- Administrative Services Coordinator, Mental Health America of Greater Los Angeles (2002 - 2004)
Research and Scholarly ActivitiesJournal Article, Academic Journal
- "Managerial Mystique: Magical Thinking in Judgements of Managers' Vision, Charisma, and Magnetism" (2011), Journal of Management.
- "Ethical Leadership of an Intergenerational Workforce" (2010), Long Beach Business Journal.
- (Chair and Author) 70th Annual Meeting of Academy of Management , "Demystifying and Deconstructing the Leadership Process: Culbert' Influence," Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada (August 9, 2010)
- 68th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, "A Missing Dimension of Leadership: Follower Self-Interest," , Anaheim, CA (August , 2008)
- 67th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, "What You Don't Know Might NOT Hurt You: Managerial Knowledge About Subordinates and Effects on the Relationship," , Philadelphia, PA (August , 2007)