Mark Washburn earned a PhD in strategy at University of California, Irvine in spring 2009. He also received an MBA specializing in Accounting from CSULB in 2005. His work focuses on how managers interact with stock market analysts, and how such interactions influence strategic decisions.
Teaching Interests: Mark currently teaches Business Strategy and Policy (Mgmt. 425). His interest focus on evalulating and articulating different firm-wide strategies.
Research Interests: Organizational level decision making, and the influence of framing and behavior on strategic decisions. Aspirations, targets, and applied measures of firm performance. Executive succession as a method of promotion strategic change.
- Ph D, University of California, Irvine, The Paul Merage School of Business, 2009
- MBA, California State University, Long Beach, 2003
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 2001
- Assistant Professor, California State University, Long Beach (2009 - Present)
- Ad-Hoc Consultant, HCOM Consulting (2007 - 2008)
- Teaching Assistant, University of California, Irvine, The Paul Merage School of Business (2006 - 2008)
- Vice President, University of California, Irvine, Paul Merage School of Business Student Association (2006 - 2007)
- Administrative Analyst, Los Angeles Unified School District (2002 - 2005)
- Associate, Marsan Turf and Irrigation (2001 - 2002)
- Primary Guide and Instructor, UCLA Outdoor Adventures (1999 - 2001)
Research and Scholarly ActivitiesJournal Article, Academic Journal
- "Comparing Aspiration Models: The Role of Selective Attention" (2012), Journal of Management Studies.
- "Cost Reduction vs. Innovation Search in Research and Development" (2011), Journal of Strategy and Management.
- "Comparing Aspiration Models: The Role of Selective Attention" (2010), Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Design4Integration, "," CSULB MBA, CSULB (June , 2010)
- MBA Revitalization Conference - Orientation Panelist, "," CSULB MBA, CSULB (November , 2009)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists 56th Annual Clinical Meeting, "Patient Compliance with Cervical Cancer Screening Protocols in a High Risk Population," , New Orleans, LO ( , 2008)
- Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, "Market Signaling and CEO Dismissal: The Stock Market Response to CEO Replacement Choice," Business Policy and Strategy Division, Anaheim, CA ( , 2008)
- Strategic Management Society, "Managing External Aspirations: Examining How Executives Influence Stock Market Analyst Forecasts," , Cologne, Germany ( , 2008)
- Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, "Firm Performance, Stock Analyst Rating, & CEO Succession," , Philadelphia, PA ( , 2007)
- Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, "The Effect of CEO Succession on Subsequent Firm Performance and Stock Analyst Ratings," , San Diego, CA ( , 2007)
- Strategic Management Society Annual Meeting, "Comparing Models of Social and Self Referent Aspirations," , San Diego, CA ( , 2007)
- Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Business Policy and Strategic Division, "Investment Analysts, Market Signals, and Their Impact on CEO Dismissal," , Atlanta, GA ( , 2006)
- Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, "Investment Analysts and Their Impact on CEO Dismissal," , Vienna, Austria ( , 2006)