Professor Ingrid Martin
I have published research in several top journals, including Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Risk Analysis, Journal of Public Policy & Management, as well as other well-known journals. I have co-authored four book chapters and numberous conference papers. I am on the editorial review board and review for numerious journals, I have co-chaired two national conferences and doctoral workshops, and I have received more than $750,000 in research grants fro the US Forest Service to work with rural communities in learning how to mitigate wildfire risks.
Teaching Interests: Consumer Behavior/Physhology; Sustainability & Public Policy issues in Marketing; Marketing Management.
Research Interests: My area of research is in risk communication and risk mitigation as it relates to consumption and natural disasters such as wildfires. My focus is on understanding how risk communication can be used as a tool to encourage consumers to change their risky behaviors.
- Ph D, University of Southern California, 1994
- MS, Michigan State University at Lansing, 1987
- BS, University of New Mexico, 1984
Major: Marketing and International Management
- Chair, Marketing Department, California State University, Long Beach (2010 - Present)
- Professor, California State University, Long Beach (2005 - Present)
- Associate Professor, California State University, Long Beach (2001 - 2005)
- Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder (1996 - 2001)
- Assistant Professor, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA (1994 - 1996)
- Instructor, University of Michigan, Flint, MI (1987 - 1989)
Research and Scholarly ActivitiesBook, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New
- "Curriculum Revision and Cultural Change: A Joint Faculty Development and Faculty Governance Approach" (2011), To Improve the Academy.
- "Making the Decision to Mitigate Risk" (2008), Wildfire Risk: Human Perceptions and Management Implications, Resources for the Future Press.
- "Cultural Variation in Public Perceptions Concerning Fire Use and Management" (2007), Public Perception, Attitudes and Behaviors in Fire and Fuels Management, Oregon State University Press.
- "Extending Brand Equity: The Role of Goal Congruence" (2004), Progress in Economic Research - Nova Science Publisher.
- "The Role of Goals in Extending Brand Equity" (2003), Advances in Psychology Research -- Nova Science Publishers.
- The Influence of Social Media in Creating 2-way Risk Communication (2003), International Association of Wildland Fire.
- "Taking the Magic Out of Dietary Supplements: Review, Research and Public Policy" (2010), Marketing and Public Policy Conference.
- "Emotions, Beliefs, and Maladaptive Health Behaviors" (2010), Marketing and Public Policy Conference.
- "Planning, Mitigation, and Recovery in Natural Disasters: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Public Policy" (2010), Marketing and Public Policy Conference.
- "The Dilemma of Social Smokers Believing that they are not Smokers" (2009), Marketing & Public Policy.
- "The Magical Powers of Dietary Supplements" (2009), Society for Consumer Psychology.
- "The Magical Powers of Supplements: Do Supplements Always Lead to a Healthy Lifestyle?" (2009), Marketing & Public Policy Conference Proceedings.
- "Understanding the Risk Perceptions and Attitudes of Disaster Subcultures" (2009), Marketing & Public Policy Conference.
- "Do Risk Perceptions and Experience Influence Risk Mitigating Behaviors?" (2007), Marketing and Public Policy Conference .
- "Are Social Smokers Really Smokers?" (2007), European Advances in Consumer Research.
- "Smoking Can't Hurt Me!! and Other Death Related Thoughts: A Test of Terror Management Theory" (2006), Proceedings for Latin American Association of Consumer Research.
- "The Influence of Mortality Salience and Self-Esteem on Smoking Behavior" (2006), Association for Consumer Research Conference.
- "To Smoke or Not To Smoke: Behaviors and Risk Perceptions Among Young Adults" (2005), Marketing and Public Policy Conference Proceedings.
- "What Motivates Individuals to Protect Themselves From Risks? The Case of Wildland Fires" (2005), Society of Risk Analysis Proceedings.
- "The Impact of Risk Perceptions, Usage Goals and Disclosures on Instructional Compliance" (2004), Marketing and Public Policy Proceedings.
- "On the Road to Addiction: The Facilitative and Preventive Role of Marketing Cues" (2013), Journal of Business Research.
- "An Application of Terror Management Theory in the Design of Social and Health-Related Anti-Smoking Appeals" (2010), Journal of Consumer Behavior.
- "The Role of Risk Perceptions in the Risk Mitigation Process: The Case of Wildfire in High Risk Communities" (2009), Journal of Environmental Management.
- "What Motivates Individuals to Protect Themselves from Risks: The Case of Wildland Fires" (2007), Risk Analysis.
- "Branding Strategies, Marketing Communication, and Perceived Brand Meaning: The Transfer of Purposive, Goal-Oriented Brand Meaning to Brand Extensions" (2005), Journal of Academy of Marketing Science.
- "Advertising Disclosures: Clear and Conspicuous or Understood and Used?" (2004), Journal of Public Policy and Marketing.
- "Using Multiple Methods to Understand Agency Values and Objectives: Lessons for Public Lands Management" (2004), Policy Sciences.
- "From Use to Abuse: When Everyday Consumption Behaviors Morph Into Addictive Consumptive Behaviors" (2011), Journal of Research for Consumers.
- The Influence of Social Media in Creating 2-way Risk Communication (2011), International Association of Wildland Fire.
- Marketing and Public Policy Conference, "Understanding the Risk Mitigatin Decision: Homeowners & Environmental Risks," , Washington, D.C. ( , )
- 2011 IAWF Conference, ""The Influence of Social Media in Creating 2-Way Risk Communication," , Seattle, Washington (April , 2011)
- Marketing & Public Policy Conference 2010, "Managing Risk and Recovering from Vulnerability: The Role of Public Policy in Wild Fire Protection Measures," , Denver, CO (May 16, 2010)
- , "Integrating Second Life in Teaching," Graziadio School of Business and Management, Pepperdine University ( , 2008)
- American Marketing Association Conference , "Understanding Disaster Subcultures as a Means to Increase Risk Mitigation Efforts," , Austin, Texas (February , 2008)
- Marketing and Public Policy Conference, "Risk Perceptions, Behaviors and Policy Options for Different Homeowner Segments in the Wildland Urban Interface," , Salt Lake City, Utah (May 20, 2004)
- Marketing and Public Policy Conference, "The Differential Impact of Social Risk and Health Risk Messages on Users of Risky Products: A Lesson in Terror Management," , Washington DC (May 19, 2003)