Dr. Debra Grace
Dr. Grace is a past President of the American Taxation Association and a CPA (Texas; Oklahoma). She's been a Faculty Intern for Grant Thornton and developeed accounting systems for Earth Science Associates, Inc. She chaired the Accounting Department at UT-Arlington and was co-chair of CSULB's CBA Strategic Planning & Assessment Committee.
Teaching Interests: Federal Income Taxation, Tax Research, Financial Accounting
Research Interests: Taxation of computer software, communication skills of accounting students, taxation of family limited partnerships; research and development tax credit
- Ph D, Oklahoma State University, 1980
- MBA, Ohio University, 1974
- BFA, Ohio University, 1971
- Professor, California State University, Long Beach (2001 - Present)
- Lecturer, California State University, Long Beach (2001 - 2001)
- Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington (1989 - 1998)
- Associate Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington (1987 - 1989)
- Associate Professor, The University of North Texas (1984 - 1987)
- Visiting Associate Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington (1983 - 1984)
- Assistant Professor, The University of North Texas (1980 - 1983)
- Teaching Associate, Oklahoma State University (1976 - 1979)
- Instructor, Murray State University (1974 - 1976)
Research and Scholarly ActivitiesJournal Article, Academic Journal
- "The Effect of Experience on Perceived Communications Skills: Comparisons Between Accounting Professionals and Students" (2013), Advances in Accounting Education.
- "Failure to Communicate: Why Accounting Students Don't Measure Up to Professionals Expectations" (2010), The CPA Journal.
- "Classroom strategies for improving students' oral communication skills" (2004), Journal of Accounting Education.
- "Section 2036 Proves Potent IRS Weapon Against Family Limited Partnerships" (2003), International Business and Economics Research Journal.
- "Comparison Between Traditional and New Media in Business Communication - A Survey of Business Major Students" (2013), Western Decision Science Institute Meeting.
- "Attitude Toward Communications Skills: The Comparison Between Accounting Students and Professionals" (2009), Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting .
- "Defending Family Limited Partnerships Against Section 2036: Lessons from Kimbell" (2004), The International Business & Economics Research Journal Conference.
- "Accounting Scandals: Using the Corporate Culture of Greed and Excess to Teach Intermediate Accounting" (2004), 10th Annual Symposium on Collegiate School of Business Teaching.
- "Depreciation: The Ins and Outs of Recapture (Part 2)" (2005), The Tax Adviser.
- "Depreciation: The Ins and Outs of Recapture (Part 1)" (2005), The Tax Adviser.
- Western Decision Science Institute 2013 Annual Meeting, "COMPARISON BETWEEN TRADITIONAL AND NEW MEDIA IN BUSINESS COMMUNICATION – A SURVEY OF BUSINESS MAJOR STUDENTS," DSI, Long Beach ( , )
- Western AAA 2010 Annual Meeting, "Experience Effect on the Communication Skills: The Perception Gap Between Accounting Students and Professionals," AAA, Portland, Oregon (April , 2010)
- Western Academy of Management Meeting, "Creating and Assessing Learning Goals: One College's Journey From Inspiration to Implementation," , Long Beach, CA (March 30, 2006)
- Western Academy of Management Meeting, "California State University Business Assessment Test ," , (April 1, 2005)
- Association of Business Communication National Meeting, "Fear and Loathing of Communication: Changing the Mindset of Accounting Students," , (October 23, 2003)
- American Taxation Associations 2003 Midyear Meeting and JATA Conference, "Recent Tax Court Decisions Favor Family Limited Partnerships," , St. Petersburg (February 28, 2003)