CHHS Major Changes and Minor Requests (including pre-major and certificate changes/additions)
If you are declared as a pre-major for your intended major: Enrollment Services will change your major when you finish your MSR (Major Specific Requirements). Pre-majors do not need to follow the process below.
To add or change to a new major or minor in CHHS, follow these steps:
- First, call or visit CHHS Advising to submit a Major Change Form. You must do this before speaking with an advisor about your request.
- CHHS Advising will review your request, and email you a decision within five (5) business days.
- If your request is approved, you will then meet with an advisor to discuss your new academic plans.
- Major changes must also be processed by Enrollment Services. This takes additional time before your change is finalized. It is important to request your major change in well advance of registration or any other deadlines. CHHS Advising is not responsible for registration delays that may occur while requests are being reviewed and/or processed.
- Major change decisions depend on multiple factors, including major requirements, your completed courses, and your time to graduation. Major changes are not guaranteed. You should plan for alternatives, in case your request is denied.
- Due to particularly high demand, Nursing and Social Work require supplemental applications before students may be admitted to these majors.
- Allow up to five (5) business days for CHHS Advising to review and sign any appeals, forms, or petitions submitted to our office.
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit documents to our office in a timely manner, well ahead of any deadlines.
- CHHS Advising cannot guarantee that documents will be ready for pickup by the deadline if they are not submitted at least five (5) business days prior to that deadline.
Scheduling an appointment
- Call our office at (562) 985-2691.
- If you have been disqualified from the University you must attend a Reinstatement Workshop in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA) before scheduling an appointment.
What to bring
Late arrivals & no shows
- Arrive at least 5 minutes early to check in.
- Your appointment may be cancelled if you are late.
- If you "no show" to two (2) appointments, you are required to meet with a CHHS advisor during drop in advising hours before you will be able to schedule another 30 minute appointment.
- If you cannot keep an appointment, cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
- Please be courteous to other students by planning ahead (cancel or reschedule in a timely fashion). This will help open up time slots for other students.