- 2018-Present Interim Associate Dean, College of Education
- 2012-2018 Chair of the Department of Teacher Education
- 2010-2012 Professor and Coordinator of the Graduate Program for Reading/Language Arts
- 2005-2010- Associate Professor, Language and Literacy, (CSULB)
- 2000-2005 - Assistant Professor, Language and Literacy, (CSULB)
- 1999-2000 - Assistant Professor, Language and Learning, California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH)
- 1995-1999 - Bilingual/GATE Teacher, Third-Fifth Grade, Emerson Elementary School, Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD)
- 1998 - Master Teacher, Department of Teacher Education, California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH)
- 1998 - Lecturer, Department of Teacher Education, CSULB
- 1996 - Supervisor of student teachers, Department of Teacher Education, CSULB
- 1995 - Lecturer, Mexico/BCLAD Program, San Diego State University
- 1995-1996 - Faculty Associate, Institute for Transformational Education, Claremont Graduate School
- 1993-1996 - Training Specialist/Consultant, Title VII Multifunctional Resource Center #13 Project of the Center for Language Minority Education and Research, CSULB
- 1993-1995 - Lecturer, Department of Teacher Education, CSULB
- 1990-1993 - Bilingual/GATE Teacher, Third Grade, Edison Elementary School, LBUSD
- 1989-1990 - Title VII Grant Project Coordinator, Cambodian Bilingual Program, LBUSD
- 1987-1989 - Bilingual Specialist, Spanish/English, Roosevelt Elementary School, LBUSD
- 1984-1987 - Bilingual Teacher, First Grade, Roosevelt Elementary School, LBUSD
- Ph.D., Claremont Graduate University, 1999
- M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction, California State University, Long Beach, 1988
- B.A. in Liberal Studies/Spanish Lit. , California State University, Long Beach, 1983
- California Multiple Subjects (Clear) Credential, California State University, Long Beach, 1984
- Bilingual Certificate of Competence, State of California, 1983
Boyd-Batstone, P. (to be published in 2015). Teaching ELLs to Read: Strategies to meet the Common Core, K-5. NY: Routledge
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2013). Helping English Language Learners Meet the Common Core: Assessment and Instruction. NY: EyeOnEducation/Routledge.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2007). Anecdotal Records Assessment: an observational tool with a standards-based focus. Norwood, MA: Christopher~Gordon Publishers.
Sanchez, M., Boyd-Batstone, P. & Garcia, D. (2006). Constuyendo capacidades para la lectura y la escritura confundamento en el programa RWCT: Una investigación multi-cultural. Lectura y Vida. Internacional Reading Association.
Sanchez, M., Boyd-Batstone, P. & Garcia, D. (2006). Building Capacity for Reading and Writing based on the RWCT Project: Final Report. International Reading Association, SOROS Foundation, the Guatemalan Reading Council.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2006). "Focused Anecdotal Records Assessment (ARA): a standards based tool for authentic assessment." In (Shelby Barrentine & Sandra Stokes, Editors) Reading Assessment: Principles and practices for elementary teachers. Newark, DE: International Reading Association Publications.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2006). Differentiated Early Literacy for English Language Learners: Practical Strategies. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Larson, L., Boyd-Batstone, P. & Cox, C. (2004). Teaching and Learning in a Virtual World: A on-line video case studies model based on a language arts methods textbook for pre-service teachers. National Forum of Teacher Education Journal, (November publication date).
Boyd-Batstone, P. (November, 2004). Focused Anecdotal Records Assessment (ARA): a standards based tool for authentic assessment. Reading Teacher.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2003). Reading with a Hero: a mediated and literate experience. In English Language Learners: Reaching the Highest Level of English Literacy. ( Gilberto Garcia, Ed.). NJ: International Reading Association.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (2002). Reading as co-authorship: a reader response connection to culture. In Making Meaning in the Response-Based Classroom. (Eds. Margaret Hunsberger & George Labercane). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Knudson, R.; Onofrey, K.; Theurer, J.; Boyd-Batstone, P. (2002). A decade of literacy research in three educational journals. Journal of Reading Improvement.
Knudson, R; Theurer, J.; Boyd-Batstone, P. (2002). A decade of literacy research in The Journal of Educational Research. Resources in Education.
Boyd-Batstone, P. (Fall 2001). A free-verse poetry frame for literary response. The California Reader. California Reading Association.
Dissertation: Literature-based Reading and Exceptional Bilingual Children: a grounded theory/ teacher-research study, 1999, Claremont Graduate University
Cox, C. & Boyd-Batstone, P. (1997). Crossroads: literature & language in culturally and linguistically diverse classrooms. Columbus, Ohio: Merill/Prentice Hall Publishing.
Leadership in Professional Associations
Provost's Technology Task Force
WASC Institutional Report Task Force
Recent Teaching or Other Professional Experiences in P-16 Settings
Editor of The California Reader, the practitioner journal of the California Reading Association.
Board Member for the California Reading Association