The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires intern programs and mentor teachers to provide general support and supervision as well as support and/or mentoring specific to the instruction of English Learners.
Below is a breakdown of the number of hours of support and supervision mentor teachers are required to provide. Interns are to use the CSU S4 (Link) tracking system to submit their logs to their mentor teacher by the 5th of each month.
Required Number of General and English Learner Support and Supervision Hours to be Provided by Mentor Teachers
|Program||Intern's Course Enrollment||General Support Hours||English Learner Hours*||Total|
|Education Specialist||EDSP 586||3 hrs/wk||1 hr/wk||64|
|Education Specialist||EDSP 587 or 588||2 hrs/wk||1 hr/wk||48|
|Multiple Subject||EDEL 572||2 hrs/wk||1 hr/wk||48|
|Single Subject||EDSS 473||2 hrs/wk||1 hr/wk||60|
*If an intern holds a valid credential with an English Learner Credential, and is now an intern in a different program they are not required to complete additional English Learner hours. In addition, in some cases, many of the support and supervision topics can be double counted towards English Learner hours.
Interns, are required to use the CSU S4 (Link) tracking system to log the support and supervision hours received from their mentor teacher. Intern logs are due the 5th of each month and mentor teachers have until the 10th of each month to verify the submitted hours. If you have any questions regarding your log, please call the Credential Center at (562) 985-4109 or CED-Credentials@csulb.edu.
Log in to CSU S4 (Link) using your CSULB Student Identification Number and password.
- You can log your hours daily, weekly, or monthly and then save as you enter activities.
- You may use this Sp20 Worksheet (PDF), however, you are still required to transfer the information to the online form and submit hours electronically by the 5th of each month.
- You will only submit for approval once by the 5th of each month. Any more than that means your mentor teacher receives more emails and we don't want that.
- Each activity needs its own time entry.
- If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to our office at (562) 985-4109 or CED-Credentials@csulb.edu.
Fall 2019 Timeline:
|Support Hours from:||Log and Submit Hours for Approval by:|
|Jan 21-Feb 29||March 5|
|March 1-31||April 5|
|April 1-30||May 5|
|May 1-22||June 5*|
*PLEASE NOTE: Single Subject interns must continue until the end of your assignment.
All hours must be submitted and approved prior to credential issuance in June.