Interest Form Documents
Complete the Research Mentor Interest Form
The Research Mentor Interest form is now online and you can access it by clicking the link below. Please be aware that you will need to have your NIH Biosketch ready to complete this form. SciENcv is a free tool you can use to generate your biosketch and automatically format it to fit the most current NIH, NSF, and other federal granting agency templates and requirements; using this tool may make the process easier to create and update your biosketch for future NIH submissions. You can download the current template via the link below. Be sure you are using the most up-to-date form.
- BUILD Research Mentor Interest Form
- Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions, and Samples
- SciENcv FAQs
- Biosketch FAQs
The matching of Trainee and Mentor involves multiple factors commensurate with the research member's career stage including:
- a record of publication and submission for external funding of the mentor's research,
- a track record of undergraduate students matriculating to doctoral or Ph.D. programs,
- participation in the BUILD Mentoring Community (The BUILD Mentoring Community provides development activities related to teaching modalities, mentoring in the classroom and laboratory, cultural competency, etc.)
Upon agreeing to serve as a BUILD Mentor, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) will be signed by the BUILD PIs and the BUILD research member designed to highlight the goals of the program and promote dialogue between the BUILD Research Mentor, the Scholars and/or Fellows, the PIs and BUILD staff. The Mentors will be responsible for mentoring and evaluating the progress of the Scholars and Fellows working under their direction. They will guide each trainee in the design of research protocols, the execution of research, the value of accurate recording and proper preservation of data, interpretation, and presentation of results and the broader impacts of the research conducted. It is recommended that mentors revisit their MOU at the start of each semester to ensure they are meeting their responsibilities.
CSULB BUILD Research Mentors are required to participate in the Mentoring in a Multicultural Setting Workshop Series, BUILD Mentoring Community, and BUILD Mentors Colloquia, which involve activities related to teaching modalities, mentoring, and cultural competency. Selected BUILD Research Mentors will also participate in program evaluation activities and activities supported by the BUILD sister National Research Mentoring Network.
All BUILD Faculty Mentors:
- Perform research with health research training relevance
- Proactively encourage BUILD students to publish and present
- Proactively encourage BUILD student(s) to graduate in a timely fashion
- Participate in annual mentor development activities hosted by the BUILD program
- Cooperate with evaluation activities of the program
- Maintain Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for any work involving animals or human subjects
- Maintain a safe research practice and training in Responsible Conduct of Research.
Please e-mail questions to BUILD.firstname.lastname@example.org.