"WAC fellows was the best pedagogical activity I have experienced at CSULB. The fellows were inspiring and encouraging. We learned so much from each other about teaching and writing and just being a faculty member that cares about students and our CSULB family!" 2017-2018 CSULB WAC Fellow
What is Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC)?
Welcome to the Writing Across the Curriculum Program at Cal State University, Long Beach. Even though Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) has been around since the 1970s and is highly influenced by Rhetoric, Writing, and Composition Studies, a common question I receive is, what is WAC?
Here is a nutshell of some key points about WAC adapted for my busy readers looking for initial information. WAC believes,
- Students should receive some sort of informed writing instruction throughout their entire college career.
- This informed writing instruction should take place in all the disciplines and taught by faculty in these disciplines who have learned informed writing practices and pedagogies.
- The types, forms, and genres of writing valued by faculty and professionals in each discipline vary and that we must value them.
- Each discipline should articulate what types, forms, and genres of writing it values and teach these in classes from the beginning of the major until graduation.
- WAC accepts that all our students have a variety of writing, literacy, language, and educational strengths, yet it is also aware that all students can learn to become more confident and successful writers with consistent, informed writing practice.
At CSULB I am the inaugural director and am starting my sixth year. Take a moment to see the array of exciting projects we’re involved in throughout our website. If anything piques your interest, I am an email away.
Download the entire Statement of WAC Principles and Practices (PDF), or visit the CSULB WAC Resources for Instructors for information ranging from designing effective writing assignments to giving feedback and assessing writing. For even more resources and information on the professional, international community of WAC scholars and instructors, visit the WAC Clearinghouse at Colorado State University.